Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dinner at the Mexican restaurant

Tonight Andy had a meeting so I asked the kids where they wanted to eat dinner and both shouted "MEXICAN"!
We are regulars at the local Mexican restaurant and tonight wasn't any different than any other night. Ordered the usual, kids ate well and we went to the counter to pay. They just added a candy machine at the register. As I was standing at the counter trying to explain what we had to eat because the waiter couldn't find our ticket Tanner and Drew were playing with the knobs on the candy machine. I wasn't really paying attention to exactly what they were doing but I knew both were next to me and not running around in the parking lot. All of the sudden I notice this lady and her son burst out laughing. I look down and see that Drew is eating a few M&M's which I figured ok, he found two at the bottom of the machine - gross but not unexpected for Drew. I looked back at the lady and she's still laughing and says "Do you know what they just did?" I said, "No, what did they do?" Well, right above the candy machine was one of those stand up displays with quarters for people to donate to the leukemia society. My children were taking quarters from the display and putting them in the machine to buy candy! I was so embarrassed and explained to them the money wasn't theirs and that was stealing and that money was for sick children. Drew quickly responds by wiping his snotty nose and coughing and saying "well, I'm sick". I then explained these children were really sick and in the hospital. I told them we were going to go home and get 4 quarters each out of their piggy banks and come back to the restaurant to put in the display. So we did and I think it was a good lesson learned. Still gave me somewhat of a chuckle...those sneaky little devils!

p.s. to end on a sweet note Drew now tells me "Mommy, you make my heart feel super happy" - melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment